Friday, March 27, 2009

Sweet Source

The day was Saturday, March 14th 2009. Second Saturday of the month. Start of the weekends, the highlight of my week. Or so I thought it was. Melbourne has shown one of it's craziest weather moods with pouring rains and bone chilling wind with a speed that almost blew this tiny figure away. I can safely said goodbye to my pocket umbrella as the wind has turned it sideways. Say goodbye to that strolling around Collingwood's farmers market stuffing my face with just about anything available for sampling while going crazy buying veggies and fruits. I normally love rains.. but when you have to be outdoors in the rain, there's no feeling more miserable than that. Being the hard headed that I am, I refused to cancel all my plans, so M and I went to Victoria market instead where it's covered.

This day is unfortunately also the day I made reservations at Oyster little Bourke for the Express Lunch thing, part of the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival. But this time, I won't be talking about that lunch, I'll blog about it another time.


We finished shopping way ahead of time. I had more than 1 hour to kill before lunch. A sweet treat and a good cup of coffee is in order to lift my mood a little bit. I always wanted to try Sweet Source in Carlton North, a little sidetracked, but it was so worth the trip.

Their coffee is quite good, perfectly roasted with perfect amount of milk and a caramelly after taste. After a long prowling at their fabulous array of cakes and desserts, I gave in for the cupcakes and raspberry linzer torte. Soft vanilla cupcake with generous amount of vanilla frosting... yummm. If you like Vanilla as much as I do, you will absolutely love this cupcake. You can see the specks of vanilla beans in the frosting. I end up taking the linzer torte for takeaway, and had it with my morning tea the next day while reading Dorie Greenspan's Paris Sweets. Perfection!

Vanilla cupcakes

Chicken pie

Linzer torte

No comments:

Post a Comment