Thursday, March 11, 2010

Matcha polka dot angel cake


I've accumulated over 15 eggs worth of egg whites after the last tiramisu order.. so I decided to turn it into this beautiful cottony soft angel cake. To spice things up a bit, I take a small portion of the mixture and added some matcha powder which then I piped randomly into the mixture inside the pan.

The smell is just divine!! The strong matcha flavour paired beautifully with the vanilla. I had to refrain myself not to eat the whole thing by myself =p.

I used alton brown's recipe. I never made any of his recipe, but I think I'm a convert now. This recipe is totally fuss-free and super gooooodddd..

Angel Food Cake
by Alton Brown

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cake flour, sifted
  • 12 egg whites (the closer to room temperature the better)
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon orange extract, or extract of your choice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.

In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.

Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).

Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.

Cook's Note: Since they're easier to separate use the freshest eggs you can get.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a picture of this cake sliced. I bet the matcha looks cool inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! My name is SIMAUMA. I write blog about the food.Please look.And I am glad if I link to your blog.
    Cuisinart Bread Maker

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.

    ReplyDelete