Sunday, May 24, 2009

Asian night


What better ways to spend an evening catching up with an old friend over a hearty bowl of laksa lemak. It's wholesome goodness packs a spicy punch to a chilly evening. I went all out creating a three course asian dinner started with fresh oysters with asian soy dressing, laksa lemak and a refreshing mango pudding with strawberry pearl and condensed milk for a sweet touch at the end of the meal.



It's definitely not mango season here in Melbourne, but I can't find anything better to end the night. So I substitute the mango puree with a fresh mango sorbet from Jones the Grocer. Well, I thought of making some egg tarts, but I want to try my hands on Molecular Gastronomy inspired by chef Ferran Adria from the renowned restaurant il Bulli in Spain. And again, I am just to lazy to make pastry. When doing last month's DB challenge on cheesecake, I was in awe looking at what Pretty Tasty Cakes manage to put together. She then referred me to Michael Laiskonis from La Bernadine who taught her how to create the pearls. I don't have a picture of the mango pudding or the pearl i'm afraid. The stupid pudding didn't set properly!! But I promise this won't be the last time I play around with fruit pearls.



You can find the recipe for Laksa Lemak here.

Asian dressing

Sake
Soy sauce
Rice wine vinegar
fish sauce
Lime juice

chilly, thinly sliced
cucumber, thinly sliced
tobiko (red, black or wasabi)

Combine all the sauce ingredients according to taste. I like mine sour and acidic, so I put extra vinegar and lime juice.
When ready to serve, pour about 2tsp (depending on the size of each oyster) of sauce in each oyster shell, top it with chilly and cucumber. Put generous amount of tobiko on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment