Monday, January 19, 2009

Quick & Easy Pumpkin Soup

In an attempt of clearing out my fridge before my trip, I managed to recreate one of my mum's express recipe. She used to made me this pumpkin soup for Sunday breakfast at least once a month. The fact that it is microwavable has made it the perfect dinner while I do a clean out around the house before I leave. You can say that it cook for itself.

Just another proof of how organize I am (........not). I'm close to losing my mind and running out of time preparing things to bring and things to take care of before my trip. Organizing my pantry seems a bigger task than it suppose to be in times like these. The last minute requests of things to buy from mum and my friends in Jakarta couldn't come in a more perfect time.



I made some cute little star shaped herb-garlic bread to accompany my soup. It looked so cute in the photos. 3 days and counting! Can't wait to put all this mess behind and jet off to my old bedroom I grew up in. I can almost taste the humid Jakarta weather and the traffic noise that I sadly missed.





Pumpkin soup (Serves 2)
Ingredients:
250g pumpkin (Jap or butternut), peeled, diced, seeds scraped
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbs of butter
2 tomatoes, diced or substitute with 2 tbs of tomato sauce
500ml - 1L of milk
salt & pepper to taste
sour cream to serve (optional)

Put pumpkin, garlic, butter & tomatoes in a microwave safe container. Pour in enugh milk to cover the pumpkin. Cook in microwave high for 20 mins or until the pumpkins are tender. Separate the liquid and the solid. In a food processor or blender, put the solids and probably ½ of the liquid, and process till smooth. Continue adding the rest of the liquid until the desired consistency is reached. I like mine quite thick, so I never end up using all the liquids. Season with salt & pepper while it's still hot. Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream and garlic bread on the side.

2 comments:

  1. i love the star toast, what a cute touch. i love fast and easy recipes that mistakenly look like it took forever to create.
    not sure if you've returned from your trip, but i hope it was a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comments angry asian. I just got back, it was great to see my parents, but i didn't manage to eat very much, I got gastro for more than a week =(. My friend said I got "white man stomach"

    ReplyDelete